It is generally believed that alcohol helps one to sleep better. While it can indeed help you to fall asleep quicker, it will also stop you from getting the quality of sleep that you need in various ways:
- The amount of liquid you consume will make you have a full bladder which makes you to wake up to go to the toilet every now and then, thereby reducing your duration of sleep.
- Because it is a diuretic, it can increase how much you sweat and this makes you feel uncomfortable when you are sleeping.
Instead of using alcohol as a sleeping remedy you can develop healthier habits that will improve your sleeping pattern. Here are some practical tips to get you started:
- Avoid sleeping for more than forty minutes during the day.
- Do not take foods or drinks that contain stimulants just before your bedtime.
- Exercise during the day and not just before your bedtime.
If you have to drink some alcohol, drink small quantity during the day and not at night so that you would have emptied your bladder by the time you go to bed.