As we age, some of us experience discomfort with chewing; we may have dentures that are either loose or too tight. Medicine is proving more often that gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults.
Gum disease is an inflammation of the gum line that can affect the bone that supports and surrounds the teeth.
Our mouth is the home of various types of bacteria. Therefore, things such as poor oral hygiene, poor diet and smoking may affect the balance of the bacteria in our mouth and increase the activities of disease-causing bacteria which could then affect our immune system and damage our gum tissues.Do you know that gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults? Learn how to take care of your gum. A healthy gum is the best anti-aging product. Click To Tweet
Taking very good care of our gums is very important. Here are some ways to do this:
- Avoid eating sugary food.
- Quit smoking.
- Brush your teeth twice daily.
- Use floss instead of toothpicks.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
- Include enough nutrients such as fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet, so that your gums will be getting the necessary nutrients they need to stay healthy. For example, a deficiency in calcium may affect the health of your gum.
It is very important that you have a healthy gum because a smile from you to people around you is the best natural anti-aging product.