Coronavirus is a large family of viruses that cause illnesses ranging from common cold to more severe diseases.
Adults over the age of 65 years are being encouraged by all the countries around the world to be very careful, particularly those with various health issues.
One of the things more important than the washing of hands, distancing and wearing of masks is separating the old from the young as this unique virus kills more old people than young ones; if you study the trend you will see that the death toll from the virus does not include people under the age of 30 whereas most of the people that have died from this virus are people over the age of 70.
So as an older adult, you have to take care of yourself and protect yourself from this killer virus by:
- Strengthening your immune system. This is really very important and you can do this by practising healthy eating, doing exercises and drinking loads of water. I am not a medical expert but I hear that vitamin C 1000 is very good for strengthening the immune system.
- Keep your distance even from family members. It is unfortunate that you cannot even hug your grandchildren at times like this. Please reduce the number of people that visit you or come into your house. Always stand a bit further away from other people if you really need to go out. But if not, please stay at home and find something to occupy yourself.
- This is the first recommendation by all governments around the world. Wash your hands with soap as often as you can and if you have to go out, use your hand sanitizer.
- Be calm. Fear and stress weaken the immune system. Yes, it is very difficult to stay calm at times like this, you have to try and make an effort to stay calm. Instead of listening to all the news about the virus, read a book, watch your favorite movie or go for a walk.
- We are one of the luckiest people in the world because we are on this side of the planet where we enjoy more than enough sunlight. A recent study carried out by Dr. William Schaffer shows that sunlight retains a substantial capacity to kill bacteria and viruses. Sunlight is free so please open your windows and draw your curtains to let a little sunlight come into your house.
Coronavirus is very real. While it is important to take it seriously, this does not mean that we should succumb to fear and hopelessness. We need to more than keep our bodies safe, we also need to keep our minds and souls happy because happiness is a type of medicine in itself.